Grey Institute Trust
A copied collection of papers and documents illustrating the Wesleyan Church's involvement in the development of Moturoa/Ngamotu, 1839-1984. On January 13th 1840, one hundred acres of land at Moturoa was purchased by the Grey Institute from Ngati Te Whiti and includes the Old Mission House and Chapel. Originally farm land, it is now sub-divided into housing and business sections under 21 year renewable leases from which rentals are received.
Folders - photocopies
1. Historical background of the Grey Institute Trust, a chronology 1839-1968, 1979 update on Grey Institute.
2. List of records (schedule of documents lodged at New Plymouth Museum 8/12/1993) returned after copying to Cooper's and Lybrand.
3. Missionaries and ministers. A list of ministers and missionaries who served on the Taranaki Maori Circuit 1841-1909.
4. Correspondence. Charles Creed, Ngamotu Taranaki to Secretaries of the Wesleyan Mission London 1841-1844.
5. Correspondence. Missionary letters.Transcripts of letters from John Whiteley, John Beecham and Charles Creed.
6. Turton Land Deeds 1847-1875. Copies.
7. Correspondence. Rev :H.H. Turton to Secretaries regardingthe establishment of a day school 1847.
8. Correspondence. Letters from H. H. Turton, J. J. Wickstead/Wicksteed and Spain, re land selected for institute 1846-1850.
9. Correspondence. Rev. John Hobbs 1843 - re Port Nicholson Land transactions 1841-1843.
10. Papers relating to Institute Land grants c1840.
11. Papers relating to the mission farm 1856-1936.
12. Letters to the Editor, Taranaki Herald re mission land 1878.
13. Death of John Whitely. Letters 1869.
14. Minute book. Copy of part of trustees minute book 1873-1900.
15. Papers. Rev. Moke Couch re Rangiatea, Ngati Te Whiti and Maori Mission work.
16. Papers. Relevant to Rangiatea Hostel.
17. Papers. Oil exploration and boring rights, Moturoa area, 1899-1914.
18. Papers. Financial, use of income. 1850-1970.
19. Submissions presented by trustees to the Commission on the Grey Institute Trust 1969.
20. Papers. Reports, correspondence on the freeholding of trust land 1973-1984.
21. Historical review of events 1968.
22. Maps and plans of Moturoa area.