Hemingway, Edward Frederick
Hemingway was born in Yorkshire. He came to New Zealand in the 1860s as a purveyor in the 43rd Regiment having previously seen service in the Crimean War, the Indian Mutiny and Malta among other places. He served under General Cameron and Chute at various times.He retired with the rank of Captain, though was nicknamed "the General" by his family. He returned to Europe and served with the Red Cross during the Franco-Prussian War. After he he fell ill, his son Edward Frederick Henry (Ned) Hemingway came to England and took him back to New Zealand. He settled in Auckland and remained there until his death in 1914.
A collection of correspondence. Includes a letter from Captain Thomas Holmes while stationed at Camp Warea. 12 August 1865. Also an account of the funeral of Captain Close held on 1 August 1865.
Part of the collection includes a letter written at The Monastry, Camp before Sebastopol by E.F. Hemingway to his father (Henry Hemingway), dated 18 August 1855.
1. Letter to the Editor of the Leeds Intelligence, from N.S, Sep 2 1833 (mss with annotations by Hemingway?, with draft transcript)
2. Letter to 'My Dear Father' from E. F. Hemingway, The Monastry, Camp before Sebatopole, Aug 18th 1855 (mss with transcript)
3. 'The Funeral' an account of the funeral of Capt Close? (mss with draft transcript)
4. Envelope addressed to E. F. Hemingway
5. Letter to My Dear Sir, from Thomas Holmes, Major of the 43rd Light Infantry and E. F. Hemingway, Purveyor to the Forces, Camp Warea, 12 Aug 1865. (mss plus transcript)
6. Brief letter addressed to Dear Hemingway from ? 26 Aug 1865
Correspondence. 1846 - 1885. Includes draft copies of a report on the death of Captain Close at Warea 28 July 1865.
1. Letter. Dated 2 Oct. 1846 Addressd to Mr Hemingway of Dewsbury.
1a. Letter. To Dr H.J. Hemingway. Dated 1846
1b. Letter To Father dated 19 August 1847
2. Letter and envelope.Dated 6 May 1850, Addressed to E. F. Hemingway Esq. Deputy Purveyor Sheffield.
3. Letter. To Hemingway from John Bowen. Dated April 28.
4. Letter. Memo. Appointment of E.F. Hemingway as a Purveyor Clerk to the Army. 27 April 1853
5. Memo. Copy of allowances to E F Hemingway. 5 May 1855
6. Letter. From War Office. 16 Nov. 1855
7. Letter (draft). From Hemingway re passage for his wife. 4 Dec. 1855
8. Letter and envelope. E.F. Hemingway re his testimonials. 8 Nov. 1855
9. Letter and envelope. Addressed to E F Heminway, Dunfords Hotel. A testimonial re his duties in Malta. 23 Dec. 1859
10. Letter. To Father from EFH at Dover. 21 Nov. 1860
10a. Letter. To Alfred from EFH dated 3 March 1862
11. Copy of notes and testimonials. Feb. - March 1864
12. Letter. From Camp Warea to EFH re supply of blankets and documents. 30 April 1865
13. Letter. To Alfred from EFH re death of Captain Close. 9 Aug. 1865
14. Note. To EFH from FM Lieut-Colonel F M Colvile 13 March 1866
15. Letter To Hemingway from [Houitana?]. 19 August 1866
16. Letter and envelope. To Hemingway from Captain Morgan. 17 August 1866
17. Letter (copy). EFH to Secretary of State re medal issued for wervice in New Zealand. 6 January 1873
18. Letter. To Father, addressed from Jametz, par Louppy, Meuse, France. 6 April 1873
19. Letter. Dated 2 May 1883
20. Memorium card. Marianne Elfred Hemingway. Died 26 April 1885
21. Notes (draft) of letters sent to newspapers. (4p.)
22. Colour photograph. Villa in Tower Road, Sliema
23. Sheet. Sale Catalogue of household furniture for Hemingway house in Sliema. 9 Dec. 1859
24. Notes (draft). Created for the obituary for Captain Arthur R. Close (d. 28 July 1865)
25. Draft notes. Created about Taipo the dog and hunting. Undated.
26. Letter. Addressed Waiwera Hot Springs near Auckland. 14 Sept. 1879
27. Letter. To Captain E.F. Hemingway, Auckland, N.Z. from A.P. Margells, Wouldham, Rochester 22 October 1897
Testimonials. 1855. Documents re clothing required for appointment in the East. April 1855
Envelopes. (40 items)
Genealogical notes for the Hemingway family. Includes emails between Phyl Haarer and Maurice Hemingway May 2001.
Photocopies of the Last Will and Testaments of Thomas Hemingway 15 April 1867, Henry Hemingway 30 June 1875 and Edmund Hemingway 7 January 1903
Auction catalogue for the household of the late H. Hemingway June 1875
Auction catalogue for the household of Captain Hemingway 16 August 1895
Photocopies of carte de visite of E F Hemingway and daughter
Gentleman's pocket memorandum. 1847
Hymn book for Sunday School. 1836