Taranaki Brewery and Cordials Ltd.
Place Of Birth
New Plymouth/Taranaki/New Zealand
The brewery, originally Egmont Brewery, was established in 1863 by James Paul, who, in partnership with W Henderson, erected the building in Egmont Street. This partnership was dissolved in 1877 and Paul moved the plant to the Queen Street site. On 6 April 1927 Taranaki Brewery and Cordials Ltd was incorporated. The cordial side of production ceased in 1959, the title changing to Taranaki Brewery Ltd. In February 1969 Dominion Breweries Ltd of Auckland made a takeover offer which was accepted. In 1971, after 108 years of production, the brewing plant of Taranaki Breweries closed down and production shifted out of the province.