Roger Edward Morris (REMO)
29 December 1954
Place Of Birth
Roxburgh/Central Otago/South Island/New Zealand
Roger Morris (also known as REMO) was born in Roxburgh, Central Otago, on 29 December 1954. In 1973-1974 he trained for 19 months as a police cadet and worked as a policeman in Christchurch until the end of 1975. In 1975 he left the police force and travelled extensively until 1980. He studied at Elam School of Fine Art in 1981 but decided to leave after one term. Morris began painting full time in Auckland in 1981. He moved to Taranaki in 1983 and started a family with his partner Marianne Muggeridge, who is also a fulltime artist. They had two daughters, Myfanwy and Lucy. Morris is also an accomplished sculptor. He began sculpting at the Western Springs Symposium in Auckland in 1988. He built his own forge and tools, and regularly participates in the biennial Te Kupenga International Stone Sculpture Symposium held in New Plymouth. In 2000 Morris and Muggeridge moved to Wellington, where they lived until they returned to their home and studio spaces at Oeo Road, South Taranaki in November 2011. Morris has shown his art regularly, both nationally and internationally in solo and group exhibitions. He has also won numerous art prizes.