Rough & Duffill
John Alfred Duffill joined the Eltham based firm of J.W. Rough in 1910, under the name Rough & Duffill. In 1912 Rough was working in Invercargill and Duffill moved the practice to Hawera and carried on alone until he was joined by Stephen Gibson in 1916, under the name Duffill & Gibson. Gibson took over the responsibility for residential design and created many of the popular Californian bungalows in the area. This left Duffill free to focus on his passion for designing technically difficult buildings like hospitals and dairy factories. The partnership was successful and lasted 29 years until Gibson’s death in 1945. Duffill continued working for two more years, at first alone and later with Graeme Laurenson and S. Townsend, under the name Duffill, Laurenson & Townsend.
ARC2011-085; Suggestion plan of combined butter and cheese factory suitable for Kaupokonui Cooperative Dairy Factory;