Patea river and township
Patea river and bridge. Taken sometime after May 1883, as the railway passenger station building seen in the photo was only completed then. The town's coolstores are visible on the left side of river just behind the bridge. Bedford Street, leading to the bridge, was lowered around 1883. It has been suggested that the building on that rise is the second Patea Hotel, built sometime after March 1882, when the tender was accepted by E. Holtham.