Hamerton, Gervase Disney
Gervase Hamerton practised as a lawyer in Wellington and Taranaki. He settled in Patea, was solicitor to the Patea Borough Council and Patea Harbour Board. He served as Chairman of the Patea Chamber of Commerce and the Domain Board. A Freemason, he also served as Vice President of the Horticultural Society.
Six diaries 1867 - 1872 written by Gervase Hamerton describing his daily routines and involvement in the local community.
1. Diary, 1867. [Title] "Life and adventures of Gervaise Hammerton during the last year of his visit in the Empire City and what befel him while there".
2. Diary, 1868. [Title] "Things worth remembering to those concerned, touching the life & adventures of Gervaise Hamerton in the Year of Grace, 1868".
3. [Diary, 1860's] Unknown writer (possibly a woman's hand). 24 leaves. Found at back of Diary 1868.
4. Diary, 1869. [Title] Private.
5. Diary, 1870. [Title] Private.
6. Diary, 1871. [Title] Gervaise Hamerton. Private diary 1871, number 5.
7. Diary, 1872. [Title] Private.
Photocopies of the diaries 1867 - 1872.