Daguerreotype portrait, possibly hand tinted, of an unknown man. The man is seated and has one hand tucked into his jacket. He is wearing a suit with a scarf tied in a bow at his neck. He is not looking at the camera. His hand and face appear to be lightly tinted pink. If the daguerreotype was framed by a metal matt, it has been replaced with acid free card and taped to the protective glass sheet. The daguerreotype is housed in a damaged leather case. The cover of the case is patterned and the rear of the case has gold embossing of the British Royal Coat of Arms and studio information that reads: "Beard's Photographic Institutions / 85 King William Street / 34 Parliament St / and The Royal Polytechnic Institution / London / and 34 Church Street Liverpool". The inside of the case's lid is lined with plain rust-coloured velvet. The case has two metal hinges on the left hand spine and two hook clasps mounted on the right hand side. 'Beard's Photographic Institutions' was the photographic business owned by Richard Beard (22 December 1801 – 7 June 1885). It was the first professional photography practice operating in England. His business had three London studios and he sold licences to practice daguerreotypy across England, Wales and the colonies.
See full details