A presentation set of tram rail cross sections in a shallow mahogany box with a hinged lid. " NEW PLYMOUTH TRAMWAYS / Contract dated / August 14th, 1914. / Makers: / The North Eastern Steel Co. Ltd., / Middlesbrough " is written in gold lettering on a red leather backing on one side of the interior. The other side contains a series of steel cross sections which are screwed in place. There are small depressions on the edges of the cross sections which would have allowed easier access to lift out the cross sections. " New Plymouth Tramways. / Contract dated August 14th 1914 " is engraved numerous times on these cross sections along with some other technical specifications.
See full details
The management of the North Eastern Steel Company, of Middlesbrough, were obviously excited about the prospect of laying New Plymouth’s tram rail network and produced this set of steel track cross sections in a custom made mahogany box to celebrate.
The cross sections were presented to the New Plymouth borough engineer and the future looked bright for the electric powered transport system.
More than 18,000 passengers used the trams during their first week of operation in 1916, but their novelty value soon wore off and they faced stiff competition from passenger buses. The last tram service ran on 23 July 1954.