L Pa Waitara [map]
Shows the L Pa/Te Kohia built during the first skirmish of the Taranaki War at Waitara 17 March 1860. The events that took place during the skirmish are marked, including the spot where John Sarten fell. A second map shows the locality of the L Pa/Te Kohia relative to roads and land blocks as in 1909. Drawn by W. Gordon from a sketch by William Johnson. May 1909. Scale: 5 chain to 1 inch. Size: 35cm x 26.5 cm.
'Built on the south-west corner of the disputed land, the pa was named Te Kohia by Te Atiawa. The European Settlers called it the L Pa from its shape.' (Prickett p.17).
See full details
Scale: 5 chain to 1 inch
Size: 35cm x 26.5 cm
Lithographer: W. Gordon from a sketch by Mr. William Johnson.
Manuscript on linen - pen and ink
Copy drawn by W H Gordon. Foxing across sheet.