Postcards from World War One
A collection of postcards depicting scenes and emblems from the World War One period 1914-1918.
See full details
1.'A wiring party going to the trenches'. Daily Mail. Official photograph (90mm hx140mmw)
2. 'Christmas Greetings. This Iron Cross at Christmastide, To you I do award, For Valour with a Knife and Fork, And not with Gun & Sword!'
3. 'Te Toa The War Dog of New Zealand' 1914-1915. NZ Herald (135mm h x 91mm w). On reverse addressed to B Turton from Olive Turton. 2 February 1915
4. A Gallipoli Souvenir. Photo postcard. Bravo ANZACS! (140mm h x 90mm w)
5.'The soldiers dreams the night before the Battle'. On reverse 'Luxemburg. 28 June 1913'
6. 'Just like the Ivy, I'll cling to you'. On reverse addressed to Master Ivor Webb, The Garden, Walton on Thames
7. Crowned by a nation's love... On reverse ' Declared war with Germany August 5, 1914' (140mm h x 90mm w)
8. 'The flags that fight in Freedom's Cause'. On reverse 'Declared war with Germany on Aug. 5 1914. Flags of our allies.' (140mm h x 90mm w)
9. 'They grew in beauty side by side... On reverse addressed to Master I Webb, The Garden, Walton on Thames
10. H.M.S. Neptune. Raphael Tuck & Sons. 'Our Navy series'. Postcard no. 8643
11. 'The Kaiser's Last Line of Defence'. Bamforth & Co. 'War cartoon series. no. 5053. On reverse addressed to Master Ivor Webb, The Garden, Walton on Thames
12. 'Ready? Aye, Ready!'. Bamforth & Co. 'War cartoon series. no. 5008
13. 'On les aura! Souscrives aux Bons de la Defense'. Artist Jules Abel Faivre. 1916 On reverse addressed to 'Dear Blanche' (Halcombe)
14. 'Clearing the way through Contalmaison' Black & White image. Daily Mail Official War Pictures. no. 136. On reverse 'These "Tommies" are clearing the road through Contalmaison after its terrible bombardment by our guns'.
15. King George greets wounded officer. Daily Mail Official War Pictures - Series 14. No. 108.
16. 'British Tank crossing a German trench. Infantry coming up under its cover'. Delta Fine Art Co.
17. 'Say, Bill, what's all this fuss about submarines?'. Inter-Art Co. 'Comique series' no. 1891.
18. 'One of our monster guns'. Colour image. Daily Mail Official War Pictures - Series 13. No. 97.
19. 'Hats off!!'. Inter-Art Co. 'Patriotic series' no. 811
20. "Each of 'em doing his country's work". Sold in aid of the Prince of Wales Fund. On reverse addressed to Blanch Turton.
21. The glory of a Lion is his mane. Boots the Chemists. 'Patriotic series'.
22. Arras - L'Hotel de Ville, un de la Rue Saint-Gery. On reverse from Dr Nimmo Watson. 3 November 1917
23. 'Night scene on British Front. July 1st 1916'. Official War photographs. Series IX no. 69
24. 'Clearing the way through Contalmaison' Colour image. Daily Mail Official War Pictures. no. 136. On reverse 'These "Tommies" are clearing the road through Contalmaison after its terrible bombardment by our guns'.
25. 'Belgium soldiers entrenched gusrding railway'. War photogravure publications. no. 15
26. 'The R.A.M.C. are 'holding their own' at Aldershot'. B. Mack.
27. "We are expecting to leave this place at any moment". J. Forder artwork, W. B. Postcards. 701
28. 'The Black watch returning to Camp'. Daily Mail Official War Pictures - Series 15. No. 114. On reverse 'One of the battalions of the Black Watch Regiment, to whose bravery the Germans always pay homage returning from the trenches headed by its pipers.
29. 'Thornycrofy Motor Vechicles "Old Bill' Thornycroft'. On reverse 'from R S Wooldridge engineer New Plymouth'.
30. 'A British Labour Battalion at work'. Daily Mail Official War Pictures - Series 17. No. 130. On reverse 'A Labour Battalion making a road through captured territory on the British front. It is largely composed of old soldiers who have gone out to do navvies' work'.
31. Bruce Bairnsfather cartoon of soldier obtaining water from pump (caption missing). Bystanders. 'Fragments from France'. Series 1
32. 'An advanced field ambulance'. Daily Mail Official War Pictures - Series 17. No. 181. On reverse 'A number of Red Cross ambulances stationed near to the firing line to receive the wounded after they have received first aid'.
33. Hartlepool bombarded by the Germans. December, 1914'. Valentine's Series.
34. 'Captured German guns'. Daily Mail Official War Pictures - Series 17. No. 133. On reverse 'A park of German field guns captured by our troops in the grest advance of July, 1916. They are of various calibres.
35. 'Anti-aircraft gunners spotting a Hun machine'. Daily Mail Official War Pictures - Series 17. No. 129. On reverse 'An exciting moment at the front. These anti-aircraft gunners have spotted a German aeroplane and are hurriedly sighting and aiming their gun'.
36. 'H.M.S. New Zealand'. Colour image. Raephel Tuck & Sons. Postcard no. 8624
37. Image of soldier.
38. H.M.S. New Zealand. Black & white image.
39. Embroidered postcard depicting an array of flags. 'United we stand'.
40. Embroidered postcard. 'Black Watch'.
41. Embroidered postcard. 'Happy Christmas'. Fabrication Francaise. On reverse France Oct. 21st. To Thora from Nicholas. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year'.
42. Embroidered postcard. 'Happy Birthday'. Fabrication Francaise.
43. Embroidered postcard. 'Christmas Greetings 1915-16'. Fabrication Francaise.
44. Embroidered postcard. 'To my dear Sister From your Loving Brother'.
45. Embroidered postcard. 'Souvenir From France 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917'. Fabrication Francaise.
46. '120 Observation ballon ascending "Daily Mail" War Pictures'. Daily Mail Official War Pictures. Series 15, no. 120.
47. '72. A British Sentry in Flanders'. Daily Mail Battle Pictures. Series IX, no. 72.