Brenda Smith was born in Onehunga, Auckland February 4th 1874. By the mid 1890s Brenda was living in Taranaki, determined to be accepted for nursing training. She worked in several hospitals to prove her capabilities and eventually reached her goal when in 1902, she received her Certificate of Registration.
A collection that includes a number of nursing testimonials and an accreditation certificate for Brenda Smith. Also a letter from her daughter (the donor) giving further background. 1896-1902
1) Testimonial for Brenda Smith, signed by Matron, Taranaki District Hospital & Charitable Aid Board, May 29 1896.
2) Testimonial for Brenda Smith, signed by O'Carroll, Hospital Surgeon , New Plymouth 30 May 1896.
3) Testimonial for Brenda Smith, signed by ?, Stratford. Aug 20 1896.
4) Testimonial for Brenda Smith, signed by R M Flyers, Matron, Hawera Hospital March 2 1897.
5) Testimonial for Brenda Smith, signed by F G Western, Surgeon, Hawera Hospital 26/3/1897.
6) Testimonial for Brenda Smith, Probationary Nurse, Taranaki District Hospital & Charitable Aid Board, 21st November 1901.
7) Registration Certificate, Brenda Smith, New Plymouth Hospital June 1902.
8) Photograph of Brenda Smith in her nursing uniform, taken in Hawera 1897.
9) Official Programme for the Round House Shikaroo - Last Night. (Carbon copy of typescript).
10) Letter from donor Gwen Macey, re depositing collection in the Taranaki Museum. Gives information on nursing. Donor is Brenda Smith's daughter.
Be the first to comment on this object record.