Loader, Joan Isabel

Production date
Oral history. Shirley Adams talks with Joan Loader (nee Whittall) about her involvement with the Roebuck's Marching Team. She was a member of the marching team during the 1940s. Joan talks of travelling to competitions, conditions of grounds, uniforms, etc.
Part of a collection of interviews with women associated with marching in Taranaki.
Recorded on 17th Aug 2002

Object detail

Production date
Item list

  Part 1

Research copy. 1 C60 audio tape.

0.1 Introduction by Shirley Adams (interviewer)

0.9 After being approached by Colleen Eagle (Ardern), Joan commenced marching in 1946. She lists her teammates and instructor, Jack Kendall.

1.7 She loved every moment and travelled a lot. Her boss at Miller's was most understanding. She lists the places to which they travelled in the North Island. Ohakune was hard going, but most fields were good.

2.8 When a teammate was ill, Joan, terrified, had to take her place as marker. She was congratulated on her very good effort.

3.2 Sometimes they stayed in hotels, but were mostly billeted. She tells an amusing story being billeted in Palmerston North.

4.0 Palmerston North is again mentioned with regard to marching spats, nervousness and sharing a room with Pike and Waters!

4.7 During a billet at Taihape with friends, Joan's pyjamas were tied in knots and her bed apple-pied. She describes the aftermath.

5.6 One unfortunate girl collapsed after marching several times. Sadly she died at the age of 25. The funeral is described. She was a lovely attractive girl. All the others were fit and well.

7.0 Joan finished marching in 1949 and married in 1950. When her first daughter was born the matron of Ahuru mentioned how fit Joan was. Childbirth caused no problems.

8.4 They never got to know the judges. Records are traced back to 1952. In September 1953 new methods of judging were created. Joan reads out the new rules. The new chief judge and secretary of the Taranaki Centre was Captain J. J. Corkhill, Joan lists the Taranaki marching teams.

12.6 Joan's marching team went to every marching competition. The prices of marching boots are discussed, as is the discomfort of starched spats. They decided to wear boots. Mr Roebuck was happy to pay for them, as the team was an advertisement for his business.

14.4 The girls looked after their own uniforms. Mrs Lynch at Moturoa made the uniforms and did alterations. They looked lovely on the field. All the girls were of slim build and the same height.

15.8 They all got along well together, never any problems. Pukekura Park was the initial venue for practice, but they changed to Central School. The reason is given. Everyone turned up for practice.

17.0 A further reference to 'poor Rae' and her problems. Whenever competitions were held, the teams paraded through the streets of the hosting town.

18.0 Marching was popular with the men; all the boys followed the teams. Joan tells two stories, one about Allan and one about a Navy boy and a 'not nice party'.

20.5 Another story is told about a missed train at Epsom and the result. There was never any drink involved and all were well behaved. This is discussed and some relatives in the team photo-album.

22.0 The 1966 reunion at Kawaroa Courts is mentioned. None of Joan's family marched, a niece, Lynette Whittle, who later hurt her back, line dancing at Wanganui and died at the age of 46.

Tape 1 Side B


Date 17 August 2002

Interviewer Shirley Adams

Abstraction Floss Lambert

Restrictions Not restricted

  Part 2

Master copy. 1 C60 audio tape.

Accession number
Collection type


My shortlist


Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.