The papers consist of research notes and the manuscript for the book The History of Warea. Also various notes, logos, land titles etc. relating to the book A Guide to Embossed Bottles from Taranaki, written by Kelvin Day and Gary Hall in 1984. Also research notes, photographs, diagrams etc. compiled during research into flax mills in Taranaki and information on the Rutherford family. Also information and maps on archaeological finds/sites such as the Donald swamp.
See full details
The history of Warea. Kelvin Day. 1981. This manuscript forms the basis of the publication Warea School and district centennial, 1884-1984 : a history. Published by the Warea School Centenary Committee, 1985.
Folder 1. Notes and photocopies used in the History of Warea. Bayly's (Warea) ; Maori flour mills ; Brady's grave ; James Burgess ; Warea Redoubt ; Pungarehu Blockhouse ; Warea Forest Pa.
Folder 2. Rutherford settlement. Notes, photographs, copies of maps and newspaper articles on the Rutherford family and flour mills.
Folder 3. Notes and correspondence on Ernest and George Rutherford.
Folder 4. Notes on artefacts from the Donald's swamp.
Folder 5. Correspondence. Includes letters from Garnet Prosser to Kelvin Day re processing of flax in the Opunake District. 1979. From Waitara Central School re the Tapuae flax mill. 1981. The New Plymouth Historical Society 1981 and New Plymouth Tramping Club 1977, re visits to historical sites in the Warea area.
Photographs. Rutherford family. Warea Church. Mill stones. Warea Dairy Company. Rutherford Mill, Pungarehu. Pungarehu Blockhouse, Sketch by Walter Mantell. Bombarding the Warea Pa.
Folder 6. Warea maps. Copies of maps of Warea Village and the surrounding district.
Folder 7. Warea School, church. Notes and newspaper clippings, including extracts from the school's log.
Folder 8. Land deeds and transfers, Warea District. Includes documents relating to Edward Aylward, Warea.
Folder 9. J. F. Riemenschneider. Includes transcripts of letters from Riemenschneider to D. McLean. A letter from the German Embassy, Wellington re the sketch of Riemenschneider house in Taranaki. 1981.
Folder 10. Warea. Includes notes and reminiscence of Warea residents'. Clem Sole, Arthur Hickman, Tom Alexander, Norman Hunt, Mr Shoemark, Leigh HuntA, J, Lilley, Cyril Moss. Newspaper clippings from the Taranaki Herald and Budget on Warea.
Folder 11. Jone's flax mill. Copy of a ledger from the Jones's Flax Mill, Stent Rd., Warea. List of articles in Wanganui papers on flax growing at Opunake.
Photographs. Riemenschneider's house. Aerial photos Tarakihi and Pikitahi Pa. Schhol pupils, Warea School, 1899 and 1906.
Photographs. Chapter 5. Warea Dairy Company, Aylward houses and family, William Rundle, Lawn Homestead, Warea School. Stained glass window, Warea Church.
Photographs. Warea School, Wheat htreshing, swimming, Warea Domain.
Photographs. Warea Store, Newall Store, unidentified wedding party. Te Whiti, Teira and Wiremu Kingi.
Folder 12. Cordial manufacture. Notes and copies of land titles.
Folder 13. Inventories of bottles from Taranaki aerated water manufacturers. A list of cordial makers of Patea.
Folder 14. Correspondence relating to Taranaki aerated water manufacturers.
Folder 15. Information forms for bottle collections. Embossing drawings for bottles and notes on Taranaki aerated water manufacturers.
Photographs and negatives. Of bottles used by Taranaki aerated water manufacturers.
Folder 16. Research notes on flax milling. Includes copies of land transfers in the Warea District.
Folder 17. Research notes on flax mills. Includes notes on Dingle's at Tataraimaka. Wagstaff and Sons, Land transfers, Puniho. Binnie and Gray, Okato. Wright's, Rahotu includes photographs of house and mill site. Photographs Reid's flax mill, Pihama.
Folder 18. Research notes on flax mills. Opunake flax mills. Tongaporutu and Mokau. Waitara. Patea. Good's (Urenui).
Photographs. Adze from Pungarehu Blockhouse ; Warea Co-op Dairy 1971-72 ; Mill stone Warea Flour Mill ; Police Station, Pungarehu ; Warea Church ; Okato Dairy Factory 1931? ; Petroglyps ; Riemenschneider's Mission ; Cape Egmont Flax Mill? ; Main Street, Opunake 1898? ; Engraving - 'Taranaki Maoris dressing flax'.
5. Rolled maps. Copy of Survey maps section 112 BlockXII Cape S. District. 1891(3 copies) ; Part section 70 Block VIII Cape S.D. 1890.
6. Rolled maps. Diagrams of Otakeho Cave. Maps showing archaeological locations in Taranaki, Manukorihi Pa. Line drawings of Maori figures. Preliminary sketch of Whetukura Pa.
7. Rolled maps. Copy of Survey map. Section 37 Block XII Cape survey district. 1893 ; Flax mill part of Sect. 21 Oeo 11
8. Rolled maps. Cross section of Parapara? Pa. ; Preliminary sketch and survey of Parapara Pa 1979. ; Survey of Whetukura Pa ; Survey of Puke Kohatu ; Map of land ownership for Warea Village and Warea District c1880 - 1900 ; Survey of Tawhaki Pa ; Survey of Otumatua Pa.
9. Rolled maps. Copies of survey maps. Section 4 Block V Cape S.D. 1895 ; Plan of subdivisions in Blocks VIII, IX, XII and XIII Cape Survey District. ; Survey map of Barrett's Reserve, New Plymouth ; cadastral Map of Opunake town 1970 ; cadastral Map of Stratford town 1969 ; cadastral Map of Inglewood town ; cadastral map of Eltham 1970 ; cadastral map of Hawera 1965 annotated with location of cordial manufacturers.
Be the first to comment on this object record.