In 2000, Cecil Messenger, grandson of William Bazire Messenger, returned two taiaha to Maniaroa, at Mokau. The taiaha had been presented to WBM in the 1870s.
The collection consists of Mary Messenger's ship board diary June 1853 to February 1854. This volume also contains genealogical notes. Also William (senior) Messenger's diary January 1859 - January 1860 describing life on the Omata farm, prior to the outbreak of the land wars. Includes an insert "Vesper Hymn" (words and tune). A sketch book belonging to Arthur H. Messenger 1935 - 1940 containing pencil sketches and watercolours - scenes of Wellington sea and landscapes such as the Wellington Heads and Mana Island from Titahi Bay. Inserts include a pencil sketch "Mohakatino River near Mokau; two sketches of Tongaporutu River. A bible belonging to Jane Jessie Messenger 1857 and a collection of photographs recording Cecil Messenger and family returning the taiaha to Maniaroa Marae at Mokau 2000.
1. Diary of Mary messenger on the Voyage to New Zealand in the ship "Joseph Fletcher 1853-54
2. Diary of William Messenger senior January 1859 - January 1860
3. A H Messenger sketch book.
4. Jane Jessie Messenger bible 1857
5. Four loose pencil sketches attributed to A H Messenger - 3 unnamed people and one of Mary King?
6. Three photos of Messenger family headstones - Ida Maude, Charles and Arthur Herbert Messenger
7. Collection of photographs and copy of newspaper clipping relating to the return of a taiaha to Maniaroa Marae by Cecil Messenger and family 2000