North Egmont Mountain House
In 1891, one of the military barracks from Marsland Hill, New Plymouth was purchased by the Taranaki Scenery Preservation Society and moved to a small clearing at North Egmont, where is was used to encourage tourists for sight seeing and climbing. Renamed the Tahurangi House, it was officially opened January 28 1892 and was later renamed the North Egmont Mountain House.
A manager was appointed who also acted as a mountain guide. With increasing numbers of visitors, more accomodation was needed and the North Egmont Hostel was erected in 1913. The Hostel caretaker continued to live in the old Hostel now renamed the 'Old House'.
Harry Williams was the Manager at that time. However, in January 1910, the Tahurangi Telegraph office was opened with Thomas Ryan as telephonist.
The collection consists of part of a soft covered pamphlet style booklet originally used for postal cancellations. It contains cancellations marks / date stamp impressions for Tahurangi, New Zealand 1911. It has also been used as a scrapbook with undated clippings relating to the North Egmont Mountain House.