Brown, Charles (Major)
The collection consists of a variety of papers including transfers of land ownership in the Borough of New Plymouth. The land in question (between Bell and Wakefield Streets) passed from Maori ownership to Chas Brown and later to the Crown.
See full details
1. Appointment of Charles Brown as Captain in the New Plymouth Battalion of Militia. 29 Oct. 1855. Parchment
2. Command from Colonel Thomas Gore Brown to Charles Brown, directing him to raise a militia from four hundred of the inhabitants of New Plymouth. 29 Oct. 1855. Parchment
3. Roll of Militia and Volunteers present at Waireka Engagement on 28th March, 1860. Published by T. Avery, Printer, New Plymouth
4. Report from C. Brown, Senior Captain, Taranaki Militia to Major Herbert, Comanding, Militia and Volunteers on the engagement at Waireka. 29 March 1860
5. Transcript of report. ARC2002-74t (Electronic transcript)
6. Land judgement. Succession claims for the New Plymouth Town sections 1841, 1842, 1843, 1867, 1868, 1869. 26 Aug. 1873
7. Letter of appointment to the position of Civil Commissioner of Taranaki. 23 July 1875
8. Deed of land registration. Parchment. For New Plymouth Town sections 1841, 1842, 1843, 1867, 1868, 1869 owned by Metira Matara, Raiha Opataia and Pirihira Opataia and conveyed to Charles Brown. 22 June 1871. Deed has a signed statement by William Smith Atkinson, Interpreter.
9.Deed of conveyance of New Plymouth Town sections 1841, 1842, 1843, 1867, 1868, 1869. Parchment. Owned by Charles Brown to the Provincial Council of Taranaki for New Plymouth Public Reserves. 27 June 1887
10.-17. Accounts with the Bank of New Zealand July - Oct. 1880
18. Receipt. To Tairama for Four pounds ten shillings. 3 Aug. 1880
19.-22. Telegram. New Zealand Telegraph. From Treasury to Civil Commissioner re payment for Police.
23. Receipt for payment to Native Reserves. Rent for No. 20 Reserve. Signed C. B. Brown, Eruera, Kau and Paruka. 7 Sept. 1878
24. Letter. From Bank of New Zealand to Major Brown confirming payment of cheque. 18 July 1880
25. Memorandum. From The Native Office, Wellington re the payment of public moneys within the meaning of the Public Reserves Act 1878. 17 Sept. 1880
26. Memorandum. Breech Loading Rifle. Hand written and signed C. B. re the efficiency of the regulation rifle against the natives. Undated E28.41 (ARC2002-74t Electronic transcript available)
27. Transcript. Of memorandum, page 1 only.
28. Letter and photocopy. To J. S. Smith from Charles Brown re petition of Mrs A. Murch. 22 March 1856