Brewster, Edgar Roy
Brewster was known throughout Taranaki for his interest and work with honeybees. An apiarist from the age of nineteen, Brewster developed a unique philosophy based on the honeycomb and the cellular construction of the beehive. He believed right angles were alien to harmonious living and worked to eliminate them from his lifestyle. He also had his philosophies on religion and aviation.
In 1953 he built a house in Sanders Avenue, hexagonal in design and completely free of any right angles, he called the house Norian, an acronym for 'no right angles', known locally as the Beehive House. He died in March 1978.
A collection of documents reflecting Edgar Roy Brewster's philosophies on life, the music he composed and the house he built. Includes a copy of Norian Thoughts and a souvenir booklet published about Norian.
1. Norian Thoughts (1972?). A booklet containing poetry and diagrams of Brewster's philosophy.
2. Hexagon House (195?). A photocopy of a souvenir booklet published about Norian, also outlines Brewster's philosophies.
3. Plan of the Beehive House, Sanders Ave, 1952 (photocopy)
4. Letter from Brewster to the Building Inspector re sale of Sanders Ave property and an application to move the Beehive House to a site off Sanders Ave. (1967)
5. Photo. Bedroom of Nettie and Roy Brewster's House, Sanders Ave. New Plymouth.
6. Music. Welcome Queen Elizabeth II, Words by E R Brewster and music by N M Brewster, published by E R & N M Brewster, Norian, New Plymouth and recorded by Tanza. Sung to the Queen on January 1954 at Pukekura Park by the Primary Schools Representative Choir (160 Voices) January 1955. Also see the BREWSTER Public File Ms1838 (3 copies)
7. Music. Churchill Heights, words by E. R. Brewster, music by N. M. Brewster, published by E R & N M Brewster, Norian, New Plymouth.
8. Music. The Kowhai and the Tui, words by E. R. Brewster, music by N. M. Brewster, published by E R & N M Brewster, Norian, New Plymouth. (originals with corners cut)
9. Music. The Beekeeper's Song, words by E. R. Brewster, music by N. M. Brewster, published by E R & N M Brewster, Norian, New Plymouth, recorded by TANZA. (2 copies)
10. Music. Lovely Egmont, words by E. R. Brewster, music by N. M. Brewster, published by E R & N M Brewster, Norian, New Plymouth, recorded by TANZA.
Be the first to comment on this object record.