Smith, Edward Metcalf
A collection of papers belonging to Edward Metcalf Smith and his son, Thomas Percy Smith. The former records his interest in mineral deposits in Taranaki and his entrepreneurial pursuits. The papers post 1920 illustrate Tom's continued interest in iron sands and coal deposits and also contain some papers relating to his position as turncock.
Edward Metcalf Smith
1) Scrapbook 1891 containing newspaper clippings relating mainly to the New Plymouth Harbour. The clippings have been pasted into an 1886 journal which appears to have belonged to the New Plymouth (?) Harbour master. The earlier clippings have loosened and are now detached from the pages, revealing the daily entries in the journal, which notes shipping movements and weather.
2) The loose clippings taken from item 1.
3) Hydraulic Cement:- return of cement imported into New Zealand 1900; Copy of report from New Zealand Mines Laboratory er 'Taranaki Hydraulic cement'/ Sept 30 1902; Copy of New Zealand Mines Department Laboratory re 'Supposed Sulphate of Lime' October 2 1902
4) Iron Sands: various dated extracts and reports
5) Iron Sands: misc undated extracts and reports
6) Lime manufacturing, farm lands, misc extracts and reports
7) misc papers
8) Genealogical notes to J Nicholson, solicitor
9) Minerals associated with paints, misc extracts and reports
Thomas Percy Smith
10) Iron sands: prospectus for the Onekaka Iron and Steel Co Ltd 1920; application for shares from the Onekaka Iron and Steel Co; Pig Iron and Steel (report on the production of); State Iron and Steel Dept, annual report 1939; Utilisation of the Titaniferous iron ore in New Zealand 1920
11) Briquetting Coal 1928 - abstract from Annual report of J Hayes, New Zealand Government Mines Department; Investigation on the Briquetting of New Zealand Coal, second report; Carbon copy of letter sent to the editor Taranaki Herald re smokeless fuel written by Thomas Percy Smith 1928
12) Smart Road Clay - report by C Sorensen 15th April; an analysis and various correspondence
13) Bulletin No 14, the Geology of the New Plymouth Sub-division
14) Misc papers
15) Building permits issued in Glen Avon area 1957
16) Inventory of original deposit