On January 13th 1840, one hundred acres of land at Moturoa was purchased by the Grey Institute from Ngati Te Whiti for the price of two single blankets and some fish hooks with further payments to be made.
The agreement, written in Maori, was signed by Edward Meurant for the Wesleyan Church and Edward Puke and Poarama on behalf of Ngati Te Whiti.
Original deed of sale and translations for land at Moturoa by representatives of Ngati Te Whiti to the Weslyan Church. 1840
See full details
1. Deed of sale. Ko to Pukapuka Hoko mo Moturoa, Moturoa Taranaki Nu Tiraui. 13 Jan.1840. Written in Maori and signed by Edward Meurant for the Wesleyan Church and Edward Puke and Poarama on behalf of Maori.
Translation of deed. Translation into English, made by Joseph Freeth, July 14th 1902.
2. Transcription of translation. (2 copies) The name Poarama / Puarama is different in both copies. Undated