Parris, Robert Reid
The papers include Parris' commissions, various letters concerning his various appointments in the Provincial Government and New Zealand Militia, between the years 1857-1875, promotions and new appointments, notes and newspaper clippings relating to his life in Taranaki.
See full details
Letter. From Bell Gully & Co. re the estate of Kathleen Penelope Blundell 10.7.77, papers relating to Major Parris. 27 Apr.1979.
1. Invitation from Colonel Warlock and the officers of the 70th Regiment. Undated.
2. Letter of appointment of R. Parris as Provincial Treasurer, from G. Cutfield. 28 Jan.1857. Includes envelope.
3. Letter of appointment of R. Parris as Provincial Treasurer, from G. Cutfield. 8 Apr.1857.
4. Letter. To R. Parris recognising his resignation of his position as Provincial Treasurer, from G. Cutfield. 29 June 1857.
5a. Copies of letter from William Courtney to B. H. Darnell. 18 Feb.1861 and 18 Apr.1866, concerning personal allegations (debts of honor) against Courtney.
5b Letter. To R. Parris from B. H. Darnell concerning allegations of land speculation undertaken by William Courtney and his seduction of Darnell's wife at Manutahi in 1880. Darnell asks R. Parris for assistance to see Courtney made bankrupt. 28 July 1886.
6. Letter. Of thanks from R. Carey on behalf of Major General Pratt for services rendered. 31 Mar.1861.
7. Proclamation appointing Robert Parris to be Captain (unattached) in the New Zealand Militia. 11 June 1863.
8. Proclamation appointing Robert Parris to be Major (unattached) in the New Zealand Militia. 6 May 1865.
9. Proclamation appointing Robert Parris to be Civil Commissioner for the District of Taranaki. 2 Sept.1865.
10. Proclamation appointing Robert Parris to be a Judge of the Compensation Court for the Colony of New Zealand. 24 Aug.1866.
11. Appointment of Robert Parris as Resident Magistrate for the District of New Plymouth. 21 Jan.1868.
12. Letter. To R. Parris from Colonel H. J. Warre, London on Parris's retirement as Civil Commissioner. 30 Sept.1875.
13. Letter. To R. Parris from W. Rolleston, Department of Justice, Wellington offering thanks for his acceptance of a temporary position as Judge at a sitting of the Native Land Court at Patea. 22 July 1880.
14. Letter. To Major Robert Parris from the Under Secretary, Colonial Defence Office, Taranaki appointing him as Major (unattached) in the Taranaki Militia. 15 June 1865.
15. Copy of Letter. To Colonel Stapp from R. Parris outlining his service over six years with the Imperial Forces during the New Zealand War and asking for his named to be retained on the New Zealand Army List. 8 Aug.1888.
16. Letters (2) (with envelope). From James Forbes, Melbourne, to Robert Parris asking for information on the history of the Parris Family and the relationship his family (Forbes) has with it. 19 Feb.1898, 9 June 1898.
17. Letter. To the manager New Plymouth Savings Bank from R. Parris, tendering his resignation from the Board of Trustees. 30 Sept.1899.
18. Letter. From A. Weston, New Plymouth Savings Bank to R. Parris expressing the Board's regretful acceptance of his resignation. 4 Oct.1899.
19. Copy of minute passed at a meeting of the New Plymouth Savings Bank re Parris's resignation. Signed Paul B. Newton. 4 Oct.1899.
20. Account book. Bank of New Zealand account book in Robert Parris's name. 1872-1878.
21. Typescript. Biographical information on Robert Parris from Edmund Lysons, Some lay personalities of St. Mary's Parish in the earlier years of settlement. 1952.
22. Notes (3 items). Biographical information on Robert Parris plus photocopy of page from Burke's Landed Gentry. Undated.
23. Family Tree (2). Descendants of Major Robert and Mary Parris. Typed and handwritten copies, compiled by W. R. Burke, Kaupakpaka, 26 July 1968.
24. Clippings (4 items). Taken from ? showing hatchments and photographs of St. Mary's Church.
25. Pamphlet (2). (1) A narrative of some native troubles in Taranaki from 1854 to 1859 and The re-occupation of Tataraimaka in 1865. written by Major Parris. Printed from The Christchurch Press. Notes in margin indicate the article was dictated to H. P. Richmond by Major Parris. (2) Photocopy of same article with note in margin: Hilda Hamerton from Grandfather.
26. Note (2 items). (1) From Bank of New Zealand, Hawera, acknowledging deposit of Two thousand and fifty-six pounds and five shillings on 29 Jan.1881. (2) Telegram. From N. Best confirming money credited at BNZ for purchase of Mangaere etc. blocks. 31 Jan.1881.
27-32. Clippings. From Taranaki Herald: (1) Massacre of the settlers at Whitecliffs. 20 Feb. 1860. (2) News extra Sept. 1868 attack on Te Ngutu-o-te-Manu and death of Major Von Tempsky. (3) Obituary. The late Major Parris. Describes the funeral service. 21 Sept. 1904. (4) Obituary. Major Parris, aetat 88. 19 Sept.1904.
From the Christchurch Press: (5) A narrative of some native troubles in Taranaki from 1854 to 1859. 1899
From the Evening Post: (6) Obituary. A Maori War veteran ; the late Major Parris. 3 Oct.1904.
From a London newspaper; (7) A description of a Waddell-Dudley marriage ceremony. Undated.
33. Envelope. Marked Warrants of Appointment. Stamp removed. Undated.