Stronge, John Stanley
J.S. Stronge born in 1908, was a noted local historian and member of many organizations including the Egmont National Parks Board, Historic Places Trust, New Zealand Forestry Development Council and Egmont County Council. He died in 1974.
A collection of draft manuscripts researched and written by Jack Stronge. Includes 'The history of Egmont County' which covers the earliest recorded history of the area to date. An untitled manuscript, describing the history and development of the coastal road of Western Taranaki.
1. Typescript of manuscript. A brief history of Egmont County and its town of Opunake (20p.) Describes a brief history of Egmont County and Opunake particularly the shipwrecks on the Cape Egmont coastline.
2. Typescript of manuscript on 'The history of Egmont County'. 28 March 1973. (17p.) Describes the history and development of the coastal road of Western Taranaki.
3. Handwritten manuscript. Travellers along...(25p.)
4. Handwritten manuscript. Early history. (12p.)
1. Map.Sketched outline of the Taranaki coast showing locations of Rivers, beaches and Pa. Undated.
2. Photocopy. Plan of old Maori redoubts. Blk VII Waimate Survey District. Source unknown.
3. Photographs. Copies of images of Waimate Pa and "The rescue of Mrs Guard and children by H.M.S. Alligator".
4. Image of the Harriet anchor at Rahotu.
5.Photographs. Copies of sketches by Lieutenant Moore. Storming Waimate Pa and H.M.S. Alligator's boats off Waimate Pa.
6. Photograph. Copy of sketch by Lieutenant Moore of 'Stockades - Wyamattee and Taranackee'.
7. Photographs. Copy of image of Oatiti. Colour photograph Waingongoro River mouth. Writing on reverse. Image of Moore sketch of Eastern End, Waimate Pa.
7. Whakapapa of Hone Pihama. Drawn by John Mason. 1939
8. Notes on conversation with Mr G. Hammond about his father the Rev. T.G. Hammond. 22 June 1969
9. Handwritten manuscript. Maori Flour Mills south of New Plymouth. (11p.)
10. Typescript. Maori Flour Mills. Brady's Grave.
11. Research notes. Includes research on the murder of Miss Dobie. 24 November 1850 at Te Namu.
1. Letter. From Rigby Allen to Jack Strong. 6 February 1972
2. Typescript. The continuity of Maori Religious Cults on the Egmont Coast. (14p.)
3. Handwritten manuscript. The continuity of Maori Religious Cults on the Egmont Coast.
Typescript. The expedition to the Taranaki Coast by H.M.S. Alligator. 1834 Extracts from the journal of Lieutenant Clarke R.M.