A collection of documents belonging the Henry Govett, including diaries, letters from Govett's parents (Sarah and Robert Govett and grandmother, N. Romaine, 1843) and papers including certificates of entrance to Oxford University (1837), ordination to Deacon in the Church of England New Zealand (1845), and appointment to Archdeacon (1859), and a translation of an eulogy from Te Kahui on Govett's death (1903).
The 1843 diary relates events on board the ship Union and the months following his arrival in Auckland, farming at Tamaki. The ship-board entries appear to have been transposed from memory or an earlier (now destroyed?) diary (see entry for 1 April 1843).
The 1847 diary describes daily life with a description of a journey to from Tamaki to Taranaki by coastal route 8 March to 18 March and continuing to Wellington on the 30 March arriving 13 April. His return trip to Taranaki during May describes hostilities at Whanganui, 5th to 24th May, Bolland's death noted 29th May.
1. Diary 1843.
2. Diary 1847.
3. Transcript of 1843 and 1847 diaries, letters and papers. (50p.)
4. Letter to H. Govett from N. Romaine, 1843. (A81.387)
5. Letter to H. Govett from Sarah Govett 10 Feb 1846. (E.19.253)
6. Letter to H. Govett from Robert Govett 16 Feb 1846.
7. Letter to S. Percy Smith from Te Kahui (translation). (A.81.388)
Note in margin states 'My dear Govett this translation may be of interest to you as showing some what of the measure of affection the Maoris have for your late father - S Percy Smith 3. 11. 03'
8. Certificate of ordination to Deacon, 1845.
9. Proclamation of ordination to Archdeacon, 1859.
10. Baptismal certificate of Henry Govett, 1819. (E.19.251)
11. Certificate of admission to Oxford University, 1837. (E.19.252)
12. Cheque for twenty-five pounds to Rev. H. H. Brown, 1875. A81.324)
13. Memorandum between H. Govett and R. Skinner re churchyard, 1854.
14. Family Tree. Govett family.