Lochhead, William Stewart
Born in Dunedin, 10 April 1880, William Lochhead trained as an engineer and served in the 7th Contingent during the Anglo-Boer War. After the Boer War he was associated with mining in Nigeria and Brazil. He married Lillian Fitzgerald, Melbourne. They had 3 children, William, Joan and Stewart.
He served with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, New Zealand Engineers Unit and later in the Navy during the World War I, on discharge from the Navy, his occupation was stated as marine engineer.
He died on the 20 May 1957 and is buried in the Returned Servicemans section of the Te Henui Cemetery, New Plymouth (plot 753).
The collection includes diaries, notebooks and address books spanning the years from 1900 to 1945. The earlier diaries describe events through the Anglo-Boer War. Later diaries describe daily life in the mining in Nigeria and Brazil. The ship's journals relate to Lochhead's time serving on merchant ships and the Navy.
Letters include family letters sent to William and Lillian Lochhead, plus business letters, papers, newspaper clippings and photographs.
See full details
1. Diary. 1899 to 1902.
2. Diary. 1902 (?)
3. Photocopy of Diaries, plus letter from Father,24 Nov 1907 and references from New Zealand Military Forces, 7 May 1921, 11 Apr 1922.
4. Transcript of Diaries.
5. Diary and notebook (reversed entries) 5 March to 23 June 1902.
5a Letters 1901. Assorted clippings and undated correspondence.
6. Address book. 1902 - 1910 (?)
6a. Catalogue and photograph of Lochhead Ltd., Hope St., Dunedin.
7. Memo book. April 1911 - April 1916. Letters sent.
8. Letter book 26 July to 23 Nov. 1912. Naraguta, Northern Nigeria.
9. Diary. 21 Aug. to 27 Dec. 1912. Minna, Nigeria.
10. Ship's journal 28 Dec. 1913 to 28 Mar. 1914.
11. Notebook. Includes accounts 1915 - 1917.
12. Ship's journal. 4 Apr. 1914 - 21 Jan. 1916.
13. Diary. 1918 - 1919.
14. Continuous certificate of discharge, 1909 - 1916.
15. Notebook. Feeding and elimination notes for Stewart Robert Lochhead, born 19 May 1930. Dated 8 Mar. 1931 to 2 Aug. 1931.
16. Diary 24 Dec. 1942 - 1943. Used as address book and notebook.
17. Notebook. 1948. Used as an account book.
18. Notebooks. Undated. (4 items)
19. Notebook. 1932
20. Nominal roll of the Seventh Contingent...sailed for South Africa, 6 Apr 1901.
21. Folder of letters. Written to William Lochhead in 1901-1907, plus assorted clippings and undated correspondence, including papers outlining the Stewart family relationships (undated).
22. Folder of letters and papers, includes mining papers, agreements, reports from Brazil and Nigeria. 1908-1916.
23. Souvenir programme for a Grand Bazaar and Fancy Fair, Government House, Auckland, 15th-19th August, 1903.
24. Folder of letters and miscellaneous papers from the Fitzgerald Family.
25. Folder. Masonic Lodge papers.
26. Folder. Maritime papers 1917-1919.
27. Folder. Miscellaneous papers. Includes sketch map of Army Camp, Christchurch, New Zealand. Undated.
28. Letters from Lochhead children. 1931-1935.
29. Letters of reference for William Lochhead from 1901-1916.
30. Discharge papers, 1917 from the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.
31. Scroll of remembrance for Gur. Robert Edward Fitzgerald, 8th F.A.B., A.I.F.
32. Folder of miscellaneous publications. Includes The Desert Mail : across Syria from Beirut to Baghdad / by General Motors, 1925. Includes references Norman Nairn, a New Zealander. A souvenir of the Seventh : the famous Depot Scouts / by A.J. Thom. The "shell" that hit Germany hardest / P.G.A. Smith. Where the Australians rest : a description of many of the cemeteries...
34. Enclosure. Miscellaneous admission tickets, cards.
35. Enclosure. Leather wallet.
36. Enclosure. Beer mats, Bremen.
37. Enclosure. Travel tickets. 1914.
38. Enclosure. Assorted envelopes, some with stamps and postmarks.
39. Photograph in frame.
40. Shipping and luggage labels.
41. Business cards.
42. Postcards. (2 items)
43. Enclosure. Membership cards.
44. Glass plate negative. Two young children.
45. Enclosure. Miscellaneous photographs.
46. Enclosure. Legal document between S. A. S. Ltd. and Gow (Nigeria) Mining Co. plus miscellaneous papers.
Be the first to comment on this object record.