Grayling, William Irwin
The papers include a journal of events between April 1860 and April 1861 which was published in an edited form as The war in Taranaki, during the years 1860-61. G.W. Woon (ed.), 1862. Various letters (15 items) and a daily diary 1897-1899.
1. Diary. Journal of events of the war at Taranaki April 1860 - April 1861.
2. Diary. 1897-1899. Daily events, including weather observations.
3. Letter from W. Grayling to Major Herbert, Militia and Volunteers, 11 Dec 1860.
4. Letter from General Shipping and Insurance Agency, London. to W. Grayling, 14 Sep 1874, advising the forwarding of a sewing machine.
5. Letter originating from Grange Road, Bermondsey to W. Grayling, 28 July 1879, regarding the chemical analysis of native tree bark for tannic acid content.
6. Letter from J. White, Education Office, New Plymouth to W. Grayling, Omata, 19 Nov 1879, confirming appointment as teacher at Egmont Village School.
7. Letter from Krull & Co., Wellington to W. Grayling, 2 Sept 1882, regarding shipments of Tanekaha, Celery Pine bark for dying purposes.
8. Letter from G. Grey, Kawau to W. Grayling, 20 Oct 1882, re copy of Grayling's book.
9. Letter from J. H. Maiden, The technological Industrial & Sanitary Museum, New South Wales to W. Grayling, 28 Nov 1882, regarding published works on wood engraving.
10. Letter from John Grayling, Sittingbourne (?) to W. Grayling, 20 Mar 1883.
11. Letter from Krull & Co., Wellington to W. Grayling, 31 May 1883, discussing the export of butter to home markets.
12. Letter from Krull & Co., Wellington to W Grayling, 2 Feb 1883, discussing merits of Taiwai, Silver Beech bark.
13. Letter from John Thomas, Auckland to W. Grayling, 19 May 1885, refers to Waitara Harbour and Sir John Coodes report on protective work and construction of a breakwater.
14. Memo from Oliver Samuel, Solicitor, New Plymouth to W. Grayling, 17 Apr 1886.
15. Letter from T. Kirk Chief Conservator of State Forests to W. Grayling, 12 May 1886.
16. Letter from Colonial Secretary's Office, Wellington to W. Grayling, 1 July 1878, regarding articles sent to the exhibition in Paris.
17. Letter from W.or M. Rennell to W. Grayling, 1 July 1878, mentions Sir W. Fox report on land taken as native reserves.
18. Notes written by Rigby Allan (?) on the content of the letters in this collection. Letter of gifting from M. P. Grayling, 22 May 1961.