Carrington, Frederic Alonzo
The papers include diaries covering the period 1842 - 1843 (2 vols), a letter book containing correspondence with the Principal Agent of the New Zealand Company. This volume also contains a sealed section to which access is not permitted. The collection also includes Carrington's statement of the Waitara Purchase both in draft and final form.
See full details
1. Letter book, belonging to F. A. Carrington. Mar 1841 to Feb 1845. Contains letters written in his capacity as Chief Surveyor in New Plymouth. Also contains a sealed section which is thought to contain private correspondence. This section is sealed with a length of webbing inserted through the pages and fastened with sealing wax which is marked with Carrington's personal seal.
2. Statement made by F. A. Carrington regarding the events leading to the outbreak of the land wars. Typescript. Photocopy available
3. The draft copy of item 2
4. Copy hand written transcripts of item 1 - Letters Mar 1841 - Jun 1843. Also a transcript of Fred Carrington's journal Jun 12 1843 to Mar 11 1845
5. A complete copy of the unsealed portion of the Journal Reports and letters of Frederic A. Carrington. Part 1. Dec. 10 1840 - Sept. 3 1841. (63p)
6. A complete copy of the unsealed portion of the Journal Reports and letters of Frederic A. Carrington. Part 2. June 12 1843 - March 18 1845 (48p)
7.A complete copy of the unsealed portion of the Journal Reports and letters of Frederic A. Carrington. Part 3. Letters. 4 May 1841 - 14 June 1853. Also includes copy of a letter from Capt Henry King R.N. to F. A. King 26 April 1843 (213p)
8. Statement by F A Carrington on Waitara Land Disputes Oct 1863 (typescript by Fred Butler?)
9. Diary. F. A. Carrington Feb 1842 - Jun 1843.
10. Diary. F. A. Carrington Jun 1853 - Oct 1845
11. Blotting paper removed from 1842-45 journal
12. 'The new Bath Guide: or, Memoirs of the B-r-d family. In a series of poetical epistles...', second edition. [By Christopher Anstey.] Publication details: Dublin: printed by James Potts, 1769. Inscribed Fred A Carrington, Worcester, July 1828. Has two book plates - first is that of Churchill Auction of Books on which Fred Butler has written 12 Nov 1942 [presumably date of purchase]. The second bookplate is that of Fred B Butler.
13. Note to Mr Revell answering a query re the arrival of the bark William Bryan 1841. Includes a photocopy and typescript
Trascription. Letter book, belonging to F. A. Carrington. Mar 1841 to Feb 1845.