Hut, Thompson's

Production date
A tōtara split slab hut with a corrugated iron roof. There are metal flashings above the door and window.

Object detail

Production role
Production date
Production place
Credit line
This rimu, split slab ' whare ' (hut) was recovered from Rangi Road, Tahora by members of the Friends of Taranaki Museum in 1977.

It was originally built as stationhand's quarters around 1920 by Jack Kemp but, for many years, the farm was owned by William (Bill) Thompson.

The original farms in the Mt. Damper area were established around 1900. In the 1950s the Department of Lands and Surveys bought them and they were sold as four units in the 1980s.

Huts similar to this one- but usually with fireplaces attached and with wooden shingle roofs- were often the first shelters built by settlers on the farms. In most cases, they were soon replaced with more substantial weatherboard houses.
Accession number
Collection type


Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.