A large white cotton flag for the Taranaki Military Settlers. " TARANAKI / MILITARY / SETTLERS / N. VI / COMP " is stitched on a blue shield with a gold border. The shield covers a the portion of the flag where two large red bands cross." CLIFTON / INSTITUTE " is written on either side of the 'V" shaped cut.
See full details
This particular flag has a mysterious and interesting history. During the raid at Pukearuhe in 1869, the Maori raiding party took this flag and Gascoigne's (Commander of the redoubt) sword as tokens of their success. The flag came into the possession of Ngati Maniapoto via Hari Wahanui's uncle, and on April 1 1914, Wahanui presented the flag, along with Gascoigne's sword, to the Minister of Defence James Allen. The Dominion reported this as being "returned as a token forever cementing the bonds of peace between two races". The flag was discovered in 1952 in the General Assembly Library, Wellington, by Dr. G.H. Scholefield, when he was researching the Richmond Atkinson papers for publication.