Untitled (Merton, New Plymouth)
Homestead and barn at Merton on the outskirts of New Plymouth. Cleared land, felled trees and stumps are visible in the foreground. A single cow is situated in the lower right corner. The cottage was originally called "French's house" when it was built by John French, a settler from Holne, Devon, who arrived on the ship William Bryan in 1841. Henry and James Richmond later bought the cottage and were living in it in May 1851. The cottage was enlarged and improved to become "New Merton" and became the Richmond's first homestead.
See full details