A steel bar surveyors chain original standard contained in a rectangular wooden box with a hinged lid. The chain consists of a length of steel bars linked together to form a single chain which is 20.1 metres long. At each end there is a squarish shaped brass knob and ring. " Original Standard / one chain long / Steel Bars / Brought out from home about 1840 / by F.A. and O. Carrington " is written in faded handwritten text on a paper label adhered to the lid of the box.
Primary Prod Period
This surveyor's chain was owned by Frederic Alonzo Carrington, who was responsible for the location of New Plymouth and the survey of its surrounding area. It is made of 25 steel bars and has a total length of 66 feet (20.1m).
Be the first to comment.