A small black tin stencil. " FIG " is cut out to reveal the white paper backing. Rectangular in shape with all four corners cropped.
Primary Prod Period
This stencil was used to mark boxes of Colson's products. It was found in the old Colson homestead at 24 Pendarves Street, New Plymouth during the 1940s. It was in a a food storage safe in the basement of the house. This basement had been built with thick stone walls and had been used to store fruit before they were processed. Colson's factory, which was on a 2 acre property on the corner of Pendarves Street, Liardet Street and Gilbert Street, produced large quantities of jam, candied peel, lemon syrup and tomato sauce. It is thought the factory was established circa 1876 and it was destroyed by fire circa 1905-1906.
Be the first to comment.