View of New Plymouth Public Library / Carnegie Library from corner of Brougham and King streets (main entrance). Following discussions between the mayor of New Plymouth, Mr A.C. Fookes and the American industrialist, Andrew Carnegie, a grant of two thousand five hundred pounds was made on 13 February 1906 to the New Plymouth Borough Council for a new library building. An architectural competition was held, the winning architect being Frank Messenger. The building was formally opened on 1 July 1908 by the Mayor, Mr Gustave Tisch. At this time the museum remained in the old town hall.
See full details
Be the first to comment on this object record.