A cast-iron Demi-Albion newspaper handpress which is painted in dark green with red highlights. The removable platen is a natural metal. This printing press, made by Jonathon and Jeremaih Barrett in 1830 is thought to be one of the oldest surviving presses in New Zealand. It was purchased by the Taranaki Herald in Auckland in 1852 and shipped to New Plymouth from Manukau. It was used to print the Taranaki Herald, New Plymouth's evening paper, from its first issue on 4 August 1852 until 1862. The Albion press worked with a toggle-jointed lever instead of a screw. it was invented in the 1820s by R W Cope.
See full details