"The Town of New Plymouth in the Year 1843"
Framed lithograph from a sketch by Mrs Emma Ancilla Wicksteed entitled "THE TOWN OF NEW PLYMOUTH IN THE YEAR 1843 ". The inscription printed along the top edge reads "From a sketch taken by Mrs Wicksteed from the Residence of John Tylston Wicksteed ESQr. The Company Agent on Mt Eliot." The Wicksteed family lived in the New Zealand Company Resident Agent’s house on Mount Eliot at the time, now the site of Puke Ariki museum.
The mouth of the Huatoki River (now stream) can be seen on the left, as well as the Huatoki footbridge that linked the two sections of Devon Street. The building in the foreground to the left of the bridge was the New Zealand Company’s store. Across the bridge, the first building on the left was the Freemasons Arms Hotel and the two-storey Devon Hotel further up Devon Street. In the middle of the image, beside Brougham Street as it heads towards Marsland Hill, can be seen the King’s Arms Inn. The other two-storey building on Devon Street was the home of Mr Veale. To the right of the image are Paritutu and Nga Motu/Sugarloaf Islands.
A coloured version of this panoramic image can be found in the book "Illustrations to Adventure in New Zealand by Edward Jerningham Wakefield / lithographed from original drawings taken on the spot by Mrs Wicksteed", London: Smith & Elder (1845) (held in the Taranaki Research Centre of Puke Ariki, call number TRCGC993.01 WAK).
See full details
Be the first to comment on this object record.