Please do not reproduce without permission from Puke Ariki.
Contact images@pukeariki.com for more information. Order images online here.

Object Detail


View of Marsland Hill from the north west with full moon rising in the south east. Barracks on top of hill with steps curving down and towards foreground. Charles Brown's grave in left foreground.

Marsland Hill provided the single most important European military establishment of the Taranaki Wars. First occupied in 1855, it provided the headquarters for Imperial troops and local forces in Taranaki until the Armed Constabulary period of the 1870s and 1880s. The site was a former pa, Pukaka, and to provide a sufficient platform for the barracks and stockade, twelve metres had to be removed from the top. The iron clad barrack buildings which were erected on top of the hill arrived from Melbourne on the "Alexander" in June 1855. Marsland Hill was at the centre of an extensive signaling system throughout the First Taranaki War and for part of the second war. Three or four canvas wicker balls were raised or lowered on the yards of a signaling mast. At its greatest extent the signaling system reached the Waitara River to the north and St George's Redoubt in the Tataraimaka Block to the south.
Primary Maker
Media/Materials
Production Date
Primary Prod Period
Accession No
A75.434

 Share


Can you help us? Click ‘Add Comment’ to share names, details and stories to help enrich the collection.


Be the first to comment.