Please do not reproduce without permission from Puke Ariki.
Contact images@pukeariki.com for more information. Order images online here.

Object Detail


Collection of two colour photographs and four black and white photographs depicting the refurbishment of the Egmont Steam Flour Mill building at the junction of Courtenay and Powderham Streets. The photographs show the interior and exterior of the building at different stages of renovation, including contractors working.

The Egmont Steam Flour Mill building was built in 1865-67 for Mssrs Webster and Hulke. It is the only surviving flour mill and also the oldest industrial building in New Plymouth. George Robinson was the architect, with designs supplied by Mssrs Bull and Bond, England.

The building operated as a mill until at least 1896, after which is was owned by produce merchantes Collet and Co. From 1928-65 it was adapted for use as a shop by the Farmers Co-Op, after which it began to deteriorate. The building underwent major conservation work in 1986-87, reopening as a bar and restaurant known as 'The Mill'. It was vacated in 2010.
Department
Production Date
Accession No
PHO2014-0214

 Share


Can you help us? Click ‘Add Comment’ to share names, details and stories to help enrich the collection.


Be the first to comment.