Douglas store, 1983
Colour photograph of the original store building in Douglas, east Taranaki, taken in 1983. The building is run-down, with peeling white paint and a worn red corrugated iron roof. It has a permanent awning of wood and corrugated iron that is supported by three poles. There is an extension to the building on the left.
The Douglas store was open from around 1905. Over the years it was used as a post-office, meeting place, petrol station and ANZAC day gathering point. The store closed on June 30th 1972 due to declining patronage and the high costs of maintenance, and the building has since been demolished.
See full details