18th Regiment Memorial Hatchment
Photograph of memorial hatchment for the Royal Irish (18th) Regiment. The hatchment is part of a series painted by Reverend Philip Walsh in 1899, displayed in the Taranaki Cathedral Church of St. Mary. It has a harp in the centre surrounded by the words "The Royal Irish Regiment." There are eight banners containing the names of places the regiment has served and a large banner with "Virtutis Namurcensis Praemium" which translates as "Reward for Valour at Namur" referring to service in Belgium under King William III. The regiment formed in 1684 and became the Royal Regiment of Ireland in 1695. It served in the Waikato and Taranaki campaigns of the New Zealand Wars and was the last regiment to leave New Zealand in February 1870. The painting is square shaped, rotated 45 degrees and appears mounted on a light surface, in a dark-toned frame. The photograph is included on page 29 of William Francis Robert Gordon's album "Some "Soldiers of the Queen" who served in the Maori Wars and Other Notable Persons Connected Herewith".
Be the first to comment.