An electroplated nickel silver 1/2 pint tankard promoting Tisch's Terminus Hotel. " TISCH'S / TERMINUS / HOTEL " is marked on the tankard inside a belted design. " V R / 37 " is also marked on the tankard in several places. " HALF PINT " is also marked on it in small letters. " 3 7 3 L & W S EP " is marked on the underside of the tankard. " Carlie " is scratched by hand on the underside as well.
This tankard promotes Tisch's Terminus Hotel in New Plymouth. The hotel was sited where Richmond Estate now stands on the New Plymouth foreshore. According to local historian Murray Moorhead writing in the Sunday Express on 15 February 1990 Tisch purchased the hotel on the site in 1882. "He renamed the hotel Railway Terminus Hotel, a mouthful which soon became locally, and then officially shortened to just Terminus Hotel. Tisch had some grand ideas for the development of the foreshore in front of the hotel. In 1895 he obtained permission from the Harbour Board to build a 93m pier out into the sea, complete with a theatre, bandstand and amusement public hall at the end. Although shares were actually sold in the project, nothing came of it. In fact its failure may have been the reason behind Tisch's sale of the hotel later that year." See New Plymouth Kete for further information. http://ketenewplymouth.peoplesnetworknz.info/new_plymouth_buildings/topics/show/871-richmond-estate
Be the first to comment.