Davies, Victor Caddy
A collection of papers belonging to Victor Caddy Davies. The papers mainly relate to his time serving with the New Zealand Army in World War One, as a sergeant in the 3rd New Zealand Rifles Brigade in France (1918) and as a warrant officer with the army of occupation in Germany, as well as his achievements with his company Duncan and Davies Limited and in the national and global horticulture industry.
See full details
Certificates and awards:
A. Birth certificate. Victor Caddy Davies. 3 May 1887.
B. Certificate. Victor Caddy Davies passed the Sixth Standard. Frankley Road Public School, 1902.
1. Certificate. The Taranaki New Zealand Oil Wells Limited Capital £400,000 share certificate. Victor Caddy Davies is the registered proprietor of three shares, 19 September 1913.
2. Certificate. The Taranaki New Zealand Oil Wells Limited Capital £400,000 share certificate. Victor Caddy Davies is the registered proprietor of one hundred shares, 14 February 1914.
3. Certificate. “George the Fifth, by Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain…” Victor Caddy Davies appointed Officer in the Land Forces of the Dominion of New Zealand, discharged as 2nd lieutenant, 17 December 1918.
3a. Copy of register of marriage by officiating minister. Victor Caddy Davies and Dorothy Ella Ruebe. 21 February 1922.
3b. Certificate. Justice of the Peace. 29 July 1937.
4. Certificate. Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture Inc, Victor Caddy Davies elected as Fellow of the Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture, 21 October 1947.
5. Certificate. New Zealand Horticultural Trades Association Inc. Victor Caddy Davies elected Honorary Life Member, 27 January 1949.
6. Certificate. The Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture. Victor Caddy Davies elected Associate of Honour, 12 February 1952.
7. Certificate. Independent Order of Rechabites, New Zealand Central District No. 86. Victor Caddy Davies awarded for 50 years as member, 29 March 1962.
8. Certificate. The Loder Cup. Victor Caddy Davies awarded 1968 award, 16 August 1968.
9. Certificate. New Plymouth Historical Society. Victor Caddy Davies elected as Life Member, 19 May 1971.
10. Certificate. New Zealand Founders Society Inc. Victor Caddy Davies elected honorary life member and awarded the Founders Medallion Badge of Service for Distinguished Services to the Society, 9 April 1972.
11. Certificate. American Horticulture Society. Victor Caddy Davies elected as Member of Society, undated.
12. Newsletter [in French]. Contains pressed leaves. 19 November 1909.
13. Form. Senior Cadet Uniform Equipment, Lieut. V.C. Davies, 3 March 1916.
14. New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Attestation of V.C. Davies (Lieut.), including envelope. 12 June 1916.
15. New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Order for Issue of Military Pay. V.C. Davies, 3 November 1916.
16. Certificate. New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Distinctive Badge Card of Authority to Wear. Issued to V.C. Davies, 15 November 1916.
17. Booklet. Ye Ancient Atheniun, Ye maritime trials and tribulations of ye 27th NZ Reinforcements. Back cover signed by the Sergeants on Troopship ’88, 22 August 1917.
18. Postcard. To ‘Louie’ from Victor (while on active service), 28 October 1917.
19. Duncan and Davies baggage tag. Addressed to Sergt. V.C. Davies. 28 July 1918.
20. New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Pass. Davies, V.C. from 11-12 March 1919 to proceed to London.
21. N.Z.R. New Zealand Expeditionary Forces. Returned Soldiers’ Railway Ticket. First-Class. Davies V.C., May – June 1919.
22. New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Certificate of Discharge. Victor Caddy Davies, 17 June 1919.
23. Certificate. Appointment as Ranger under Animals Protection and Game Act, 1921-1922, Victor Caddy Davies for the Taranaki Acclimatization District, 28 November 1925.
24. Correspondence. Department of Justice to V.C. Davies. Re. name placed on the Commission of the Peace for the Dominion of New Zealand, 29 July 1937.
25. Detail of Honours bestowed on Mr. V.C. Davies up to 1954. 1pp.
26. Warrant of Appointment of Park Warden for Pukekura Park, appoints Victor Caddy Davies, 11 August 1954. 2pp.
27. The New Zealand Founders Society Inc, Members Register. Victor C. Davies, 30 June 1956.
28. Card. Certifies Victor Davies is an active member of the California Camellia Society Inc. 1957.
29. Awards made by the Council of the Royal Horticultural Society. Includes V.C. Davies for the Veitch Memorial Medal, 8 December 1966. 2pp.
30. Programme, Presentation of the Loder Cup 1968 to Mr V.C. Davies O.B.E. 1968.
31. Photographs (2). Opening of Sir Victor Davies Park. 7 October 1978.
32. Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture Inc, North Taranaki District Council Newsletter December 1978. Including information on the dedication of Sir Victor Davies Park.
33. Application for Service Medal, Davies, Victor Caddy. List of military service. Undated.
34. Business Card. Victor C. Davies, O.B.E. Managing Director, Duncan & Davies Ltd. Undated.
35. H.M. Forces Overseas (in Uniform), Combined Leave and Railway Ticket. Belonging to Victor Caddy Davies. Undated
36. Taranaki Rifle Volunteers, parade at drill hall 2pm Friday 20 [no month or year]. Field manoeuvres, 24 May [no year] cancelled. Addressed to Sergt. V. Davies.
37. Notes and dried plant clippings. "New varieties of ferms at Kew. Selected by V.C. Davies" [collected while on active service during WWI]. 30 January 1918.
38. Note, receipt for accommodation at YMCA and dried plant clippings [collected while on active service during WWI]. 12 February 1918.
39. Note and dried plant clippings [collected while on active service during WWI]. Undated.
40. Newsletter [front cover only]. Duncan & Davies Grapevine, April 1977. Obituary for Victor Davies.
41. Newsletter. Duncan & Davies Grapevine, May 1977. Includes eulogy for Victor Davies.
42.Soldiers pocket book.
Letters from Victor Caddy Davies to William Bolland Davies 1917-1919.
Typescript. Letters from VCD [Victor Caddy Davies] to WBD [William Bolland Davies] 1917-19. Transcript from originals. Bound, 24pp.
58 postcards written by Victor Caddy Davies to various people during World War 1.