A camera originally mounted in an Royal New Zealand Air Force Avro Anson. The large metal camera has a large circular lens and handles are mounted on either side of it. Three small plaques are attached to the camera. " MAGAZINE FILM / REF No 14a/780 / SERIAL No AA 26431 " is marked on one along with a broad arrow design. " GEARBOX TYPE F / REF No 14A 3340 / SERIAL No. K13 5093 A M " and a crown design is marked on another one. "HIGH SPEED" is stencilled in white below this plaque. Another one lists a table of various exposures. "No 17765 4 51N " is marked around the edge of the lens.
A camera retrieved from an Royal New Zealand Air Force Avro Anson Trainer which crashed on a training flight on 4 September 1944. Despite being badly injured, Flight Sergeant Alexander Peterson pulled himself out of his plane's wreckage and crawled seven miles down the Oaonui Stream to get help for his injured colleague. His Avro Anson trainer had crashed into the side of the mountain, near the site of today's Oaonui Hut. Sgt Peterson reached a farmhouse on the Ihaia Road and a search party was sent up the mountain. The ground party could not find the plane but next morning an air search found it, dropping a smoke bomb to alert the ground team. Sgt Bruce Rough had spent the night in the wrecked plane, wrapping himself in parachutes to keep warm. The airman had a fractured wrist and was suffering shock. The other crew: Flight Sgt John Paterson Cummins and Sgt Maurice Roy Haycock had been killed on impact. The camera was given to William George Cavaney, an Opunake chemist.
Be the first to comment.