New Plymouth Airport opening, terminal building
04 Mar 1967
View of the New Plymouth Airport terminal building, Brown Road, New Plymouth, on opening day. Crowds of people are pictured on the outdoor viewing balcony and in front of the terminal. The propellor of an aircraft is visible in the foreground on the right of the image. The new airport - which replaced the original airport opened in 1933 - became operational on 14 November 1966. However, it was officially opened by the Right Honorable Keith Holyoake, Prime Minister of New Zealand, on 4 March 1967. The opening featured a large display of aeroplanes, including commercial and specialist aerobatic craft.
See full details