Research compiled by Pam Bromley on James Livingston.
James Livingston was a founding settler of the Patea district; he first arrived in South Taranaki in 1867. James fought in the Taranaki Wars. James gradually came to own 680 hectares of land at Waipapa. In 1880 the Waipapa property was added to by the purchase from the government of adjoining sections of the Waimate Plains. In 1900 the property, with the exception of 90 acres at Ohawe, on which Livingston retired, was taken over by the government at £20 per acre, to be subdivided for dairying. The settlement was named Tokaora or 'living stone'.
He was a community-minded man, being a founding member of many local organisations including the Egmont Racing Club, the Patea A & P Association, Egmont A & P Association, the Hawera Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, and the first Patea County Council. He was also a noted horticulturist.
He died at Hawera on 7 May 1915.
See full details
Research notes regarding James Livingston, compiled by Pam Bromley.
Photograph and information regarding the first Tokaora School from the Livingston Estate, Ohawe.
Drawing, Tokaora Settlement ‘The Homestead’, sale of James Livingston property ‘Waipapa’ 20 November 1901. By Pam Bromley.
Drawing, Tokaora Settlement ‘The Stable and Woolshed’, sale of James Livingston property ‘Waipapa’ 20 November 1901. By Pam Bromley.
Drawing, Locality Plan Tokaora Settlement. By Pam Bromley.
Drawing, Plan of Tokaora Settlement, copied Hawera August 1974. By Pam Bromley.
Photograph. Mrs Kueni Thompson, donated house for Maori, nurse in Normanby.
Be the first to comment on this object record.