Research compiled by Pam Bromley for incomplete book 'The John Finlay Story 1855-1925’. Most of the research was compiled from scrapbooks made by John accessed through Harold Finlay.
Findlay owned a farm at Tokaora, five kilometres west of Hāwera and near the mouth of the Waingongoro River. It is one of the prime pieces of dairying real estate in the Waimate Plains. Tokaora’s name was derived from the first landholder in the area – James Livingston – and is a transliteration of his surname – ‘toka’(stone) and ora (life force). Part of the homestead was built in the mid-1860s at Waihi Redoubt, Normanby, moved to Hāwera in 1872-73 and thence to Tokaora in 1903. Also includes information on the 'totem poles' (poupou carvings) at Waihi, Normanby.
See full details
E.P.S. Hawera and Borough Council booklet.
New Zealand Government Oil Fuel License, HJ Finlay, Tokaora Hawera, 5 November 1948.
Map of Part of Ohawe Road Toka-ora Settlement, with letter from Jas Livingstone to J Finlay attached.
Information on ‘totem poles’ at Waihi, Normany. Information compiled by Pam Bromley.
Information of Cliff Farm homestead at Ohawe. Information compiled by Pam Bromley.
Research notes for unfinished book ‘The Finlay Story’. Information compiled by Pam Bromley.