"The Entrance to the Armed Constabulary camp at Pungarehu in Taranaki"
Seven members of the Armed Constabulary pictured at the entrance to the Pungarehu Armed Constabulary camp. They are dressed in uniform and are wearing caps. A dog is lying on the ground in front of them. A wooden building dominates the left hand side of the painting. Another building is pictured on the right of the painting and a bell tent is visible in the centre. Numerous large trees are pictured behind the buildings. On the ridge of the hill behind the entrance to the camp, the Pungarehu blockhouse can be seen. The Pungarehu Armed Constabulary camp was used as the base from which the Armed Constabulary staged the invasion of Parihaka pā on 5 November 1881. At that time, approximately 1,000 men were stationed at the camp.
See full details