New Plymouth Tramways Substation [plans]
Three architectural plans of the New Plymouth tramways substation designed by architect C. Tilleard Natusch and Sons. Plans are labelled two, three and four. Plan one is missing.
The tramway substation opened an electric tram service on 10 March 1916. This was operated by the New Plymouth Corporation Tramways and was reputedly the smallest municipality in the world to operate trams on the overhead electricity system. There were two main routes, through the town centre from the Port to Fitzroy, and from the town centre to David Street, Westown. There were 10 trams, including 3 Birney Safety Cars introduced in 1921 (Nos. 7-9). The tram system was taken out of service on 23 July 1954. The building later became the New Plymouth city council building.
See full details
Plan. Labelled 'Sheet 2'. Ground and upper floor plans. Details of the side facades of the building. 503mm x 663mm.
Plan. Labelled 'Sheet 3'. Front facade details with Liadet Street elevation. Rear facade details with Leach street elevation. Side facade elevation. 490mm x 676mm.
Plan. Labelled 'Sheet 4'. Detail for base for flag poles. Details of outer side walls of transformer room. Detail of battery room floor beams. Lantern light over battery room. 700mm x 520mm.
Be the first to comment on this object record.