Richmond cottage, New Plymouth
Richmond cottage in its present location outside the New Plymouth war memorial, library and museum building. The building is in excellent condition. There is a well maintained flower garden growing around the edge of the building and the lawn in front of the building is neatly mowed. The cottage was built for C.W. Richmond in 1853-54. The quarryman was stonemason Nathaniel Hooker; the stone, Taranaki andesite. The cottage was on the New Plymouth foreshore and was subsequently bought by the Terminus Hotel, who used it as additional accommodation. Cottage was deconstructed and moved to present site in 1961, whereupon it became a colonial museum; opening in 1963.
Be the first to comment.