St Peter's Church, Pūrangi
St Peter's Church, Purangi. The church was built in 1906 by nephews of Te Ikahaehae Manihera (known as Manihera Te Hurataiore before he was baptised), a lay reader. Manihera went on to become deacon of the Pukemahoe Mission Station and chief of the Ngati Te Ika hapu of Ngati Maru. Manihera's sister Kapohanga had four sons, two of whom ( Tutanuku Tume and Manihera Tume) built the church.
The gabled frontage, the carved head (tekoteko) and the cross at the apex were buried beside the church in 1984. The bell hanging at left is from the Pukemahoe Mission. The roof was originally shingled and was replaced with iron in 1912. The church was renovated during the 1980s.
See full details