Brougham Street from Devon Street Corner
View of Brougham Street looking southeast, taken from the northwest corner of the Brougham Street and Devon Street intersection. A group of men stand outside the National Bank of New Zealand on the opposite corner of the intersection. The business next to the bank is Jackson, Lightband & Co Boot and Shoe Importers.
See full details
Photograph almost certainly taken during December 1884, likely commemorating completion of the National Bank’s new premises. The National Bank building at the corner was completed during late-September 1884, with staff moving into the building during early-November 1884. The furniture and upholstery workshop occupied by Mofflin & Dingle (further south along Brougham Street), was torn down during a ferocious fire on the 19th of May 1885, with the partnership of Mofflin & Dingle ceasing the following month. A newspaper article from the Taranaki Herald of December 24th 1884 reported that Jackson, Lightband & Co’s Boot Warehouse was decorated with Nikau to celebrate the Christmas season – Nikau fronds can be seen attached to the veranda posts of their store in the photograph.
- Hamish Crimp posted 3 years ago.