Pergola walk, 'Plas Mawr', New Plymouth
View of the pergola walk leading to 'Plas Mawr' [translated variously as 'great hall' or 'large manor house' in Welsh], 26 Standish Street, New Plymouth. Foliage covers the timber of the pergola and tall trees are visible on the right of the image. Creeping vines cover the exterior of the house. 'Plas Mawr' was built for Charles Hayward Burgess, Mayor of New Plymouth from 1915 to 1919, and his wife Ann and was completed in 1913. This photograph was taken during a visit to New Plymouth by Chapman-Taylor and his new wife Marion Hurst in 1938.
See full details